How to Make Coconut Charcoal Briquettes At Home
There are many advantages of coconut charcoal briquettes so many people use them. Coconut charcoal is also easy for you to access, you can even make it at home even though it requires a lot of time and effort. There are two methods that you can use to make coconut charcoal from home, namely the pit method and the drum method, with the following explanation:
Making Use of The Pit Method
You can easily find coconut charcoal in offline stores and e-commerce platforms. However, for those of you who want to make it at home, you can do it even though it takes a long process. The following is a pit method that you can use to make coconut charcoal and you can use it as a reference:
1. What You Need
To make coconut charcoal, of course, you need some materials and equipment. You need to prepare them before you go into the manufacturing process. The following are the materials and equipment you need to make coconut charcoal using the pit method:
- Coconut shell (dry and broken)
- Metal pot with lid: make sure the lid has ventilation holes.
- Machine charcoal briquette.
After you have prepared the materials and equipment, now is the time to go into the manufacturing stage. There are several stages of manufacture that you need to do carefully to produce good quality coconut charcoal briquettes. The following are some steps to make coconut charcoal using the pit method:
- You can dig a medium-sized hole in an open area so that it is well ventilated.
- Then, make a fire to start the burning process and make it in an open area for safety purposes. Then, it is important to keep a fire extinguisher aside for safety precautions.
- Put all the coconut shells into the pot, then close tightly using the lid.
- Cook the pot over a fire in an open area for three to four hours.
- When it is completely burned, remove the pot from the heat. Then, let the pot cool for a while to produce good quality charcoal.
- Wash the charcoal that you have prepared under running water. Then, strain to remove dirt and ash.
- Transfer the clean charcoal to the mortar and pester to a fine powder.
- Let it dry for 24 hours, then, you can make coconut charcoal into briquettes using machine charcoal briquettes.
Using The Drum Method
This is the most widespread method of making coconut charcoal briquettes. This is because the method is easy and only requires a drum equipped with a chimney on the drum lid. If you want to know how to make charcoal using this method, here are the steps:
- Put the coconut shell into the drum. However, leave a small space in the center of 4 inches wide to allow the smoke to flow freely and limit the availability of oxygen to the coconut shell to produce good quality coconut charcoal.
- To start the carbonization, place fire on one coconut shell to catch the fire gradually as well.
- Close the opening tightly until the carbonization process is complete.
- You can cool the drum along with the charcoal.
- Then, you can mold coconut charcoal after 8 hours of cooling.
Those are two methods you can do to make coconut charcoal briquettes from home. Both methods can produce coconut charcoal with good quality even though it is produced at home. You can choose the method of manufacture that you think is easiest.